-->

Sunday 27 March 2016

Pretty Embroidery





Happy Easter Sunday, everyone!

A month or so ago,  I came across a wonderful speed-painting (cookie-decorating) video by a lady who goes by the online alias of Mezesmanna (her Instagram is here) - she paints with royal icing onto gingerbread 'canvasses', and her traditional Hungarian-inspired ones are simply incredible! These days, a lot of my creative output is needlework-based, so I was inspired to do some studies of Hungarian embroidery using watercolour paint on card. I still had a bunch of flowers in a vase on the dining room table from my birthday, so I did some studies from those, too. I'd love to get out some graph paper and turn some of the paintings into cross-stitch patterns.


The embroidery uses lovely bright colours, but they look really sweet toned-down, too. The shapes used are so simple but fit together so well, the overall pattern is detailed and intricate - I could sit and Google-search these embroideries all day!

Mezesmanna's Instagram is here, and her YouTube channel is here - you can also follow her on Facebook. A really interesting site on Hungarian embroidery is Folk Art Hungary - take a look!

No comments: